Thursday 22 October 2015

Green




I don’t think I am a particularly “Green person”, I think I am  “greener” than the average Chilean person, but not as Eco- friendly as I could be.
This idea of being “green” is so relative. I think it is very difficult to be all “planet friendly” when the whole system invites you to buy and dispose.  I love visiting new places, and basically this is what I spend most of my savings on. Do I pay to try to reduce my carbon footprint? So far, not a bean . Shame on me!!!

On the upside, I try to use the bike as often as possible. I also take bottles and cartons of milk to the supermarket as often as possible. But I also use the car!!! I used to have worms and separate the biodegradable rubbish but I don’t anymore. A thing I do is I put a bottle in my toilet cistern so I use less water when I flush the loo.  When I go to the supermarket or the vegetable market I take my own bags. I make my own washing detergent, which pollutes the water and my skin a lot less than Omo or any of those. I make my shampoo and in the past I made soap but it is not easy to find the time. I reuse and recycle as much as I remember. I have learnt from lovely people wanting to share and also out of my own curiosity, I suppose.
There is no way for things to improve in this aspect without education. I think the boroughs i.e. (Estación central, Recoleta, Ñuñoa, etc.) and the national School programmes need to include the topics of recycling, reusing and reducing so people become aware. One needs to do these things at home for children to become aware. I would like to start a group to raise awareness in children and people in general one day.
What about you?



 - How green are you?
-        Do you think there is a point in being “green”
- Have you incorporated recycling into your habits? Describe
- Have you joined or supported any eco-organisations? Why/Why not?
- What do you do /would you like to do to help the planet?
- What's missing in our society/Santiago regarding this issue?

Number of words: 240

Don't forget to make comments on at least 3 of your classmates posts and the teacher's 

8 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm amazed with the thing you do for the enviorment, that's a lot of good stuff right there! I don't think I could do so many things, I don't even know how to ride a bike, but I would love to learn. I think is important to incorporate this little habits in our daily life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make a lot of thing for help! I agree with you, the system invite us to be inconsiderate with the environment and the education is one alternative, but I think that solutions will be in a long term.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The system is a big machine that consume all of we can do about the environment, but in the small things we can contribute to help the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow!! You do many things for take care of planet, but still you believes it is not enough. But I think it is good, we must start for something.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bikes are the future, they don't need gasoline, with only a liter of water, we can go to anywhere (ok, depends of the physicals conditions, but is possible in some cases) Cheers !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is often not possible to carry out the ideas you have to help the planet but at least I also try to always use my bike at least it's something even very little but if there are more people who do help not pollute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think are those very great habits to become in a Green person, In the same way I think you do a lot of positive things for take care our planet. I love the detergent idea! I want the formula!!! 

    ReplyDelete
  8. wooo teacher is great everything he does...is very great.......cheers!!!!

    ReplyDelete